Re: How to deny host through Mac Address

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 04:53:38PM +0530, GauravA wrote:
> Dear Sir/ Madam,
> I am Gaurav Arora working in internet company.Can you help me in telling that how to deny a host through mac address so that customer or host may not able to use internet further. I will be thankful to you if u help me in trying to solve this problem

Install iptables. Ensure kernel has 'MAC filtering' enabled (its under
networking filtering' Requires a 2.4 kernel IIRC.

iptables -A FORWARD -p mac --mac-source XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -J DROP

(that -p might have to be a -m)
You might also want to do the above with -A INPUT

Read the iptables docs for more information.

I'm assuming you use ethernet here. Don't know how this would work with
dial-up/DSL but this should get you started.

Please note that MAC address can easily be spoofed. See recent
discussions on this list.

Brian