Re: Software RAID1 install notes - Debian Sarge

Hi!

Alvin already pointed out the most likely cause for your problem: kernel not supporting software raid. For my setup, I had to build my own kernel (and then build again because DMA was not enabled for my controller). Here are nice instructions for building the kernel:
http://www.projektfarm.com/en/support/howto/debian_kernel_compile.html

Here are few links I've found helpful:
http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/faqw.admin.py? query=1.22&querytype=simple&casefold=yes&req=search
http://karaolides.com/computing/HOWTO/lvmraid/node1.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO.html

I couldn't get Lilo to work for me. Now I've gor Grub working partially (it only boots with both disks at the moment...).

Cheers,

Timo Railo

# mke2fs -O sparse_super,filetype /dev/md1
# mount /dev/md1 /mnt <------------------------- STUCK ON THIS---- mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md1, <-------------
       or too many mounted file systems