Gnome Mixer 1.4 Problems

I'm using Gnome 1.4 on Debian 3.0r2 with OSS sound. I use Gnome Mixer to set my system volume to very low, but whenever I reboot, it magically goes right back to (almost) full. It's almost like it's being told to go back to some saved position that's at an 80% mark or something. Note that when I log out of Gnome and then right back in, my personal volume setting is preserved.

I do have esd start with Gnome, and I don't have "Restore mixer levels of Gnome Mixer" checked in either Gnome Control Panel or Gnome Mixer Preferences. In fact, when I do check these, it resets the volume on a logout/login as well as a reboot.

So I'm thinking there's some kind of default setting that's getting applied during system startup, but I can't imagine what it would be.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker