Re: creating swap partition

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:49:34PM -0500, xucaen wrote:
> Hi all, quick question here. how big should a swap partition be relative to the size of the drive?

Your RAM size matters, not the HDD.

First of all, you don't want to swap _at all_: buy yourself more RAM,
it's cheap nowadays.  Swapping slows your system down, makes it more
fragile (media errors), and compromises security a bit.

Having said that, it depends on your usage habits.   It should be at
least slightly more than your RAM size (swsusp), and you probably will
hardly use a swap more than three times your RAM size.

> another quickie..  does each hard drive need it's own swap partition?

No, but splitting the load across several disks/controllers might
improve the performance.

HTH

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9