kernel panic on boot floppy

One more thing I tried last night. I created the bf24 boot
floppies from the debian 3.0r1 CD but got a kernel panic. I
also downloaded the unstable boot floppies from one of the
debian primary sites and again got a kernel panic. Why would
the floppy kernel fail to boot?

----- Message Forwarded on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:25:36 -0400
-----
>Hi all, something very interesting. I booted debian on my
old western digital
>as primary master (on board ide) and my cd-rom as secondary
master and cd-rw
>as secondary slave. My siig ultra ata is installed and my
seagate is
>connected to it's primary and the drive is jumped as
master.

>The western digital has debian testing with
kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k6.

>Ok, Linux boots up perfect. It sees the seagate and I am
able
>to csfdisk and mkfs. as root I mounted /dev/hde and I can
use the drive.
>The drive works.
>
>However, nothing has allowed me to boot the install CD and
install a fresh
>debian onto the new seagate. The install insists there are
no hard disks.

>I don't know what to do. I want the new seagate to be my
boot drive.
>is there another option?
>
>Jim
>
>>Hi all, I'm trying to install woody (3.0r1) from CD's on a
PC with an
>>AMD K6 II 500mhz and a brand new Seagate 80GB Barracuda
Ultra ata/100 and a
>>brand new SIIG ultra ata/133 pci controller. in addition
to the new Seagate,
>>the pc has an IO Magic CD-ROM and an LG CD-RW. Prior to
buying the new Seagate and the >new
>>SIIG controller the pc ran fine with a 2GB Western Digital
connected to the
>>on board IDE.
>>
>>First I tested the the SIIG controller by connecting the
old western digital to
>>it's primary channel and connected the cd-rom and cd-re to
it's secondary channel.
>>I disabled the onboard ide in the BIOS. I booted. The SIIG
sucessfully detected
>>all drives and linux booted. Every worked.
>>
>>Then I took out the western digital and installed the new
Seagate to the SIIG
>>primary channel. I was hoping the SIIG was smart enough to
boot from cd but
>>it didn't. The SIGG detected all drives but wouldn't boot
the cd.

>>Now here's where I start my trial and error. I'm not sure
what is the best
>>configuration to use at this point. I removed the cd-rom
and cd-rw from the
>> SIIG and attached them back to the secondary onboard ide
and re-enabled it in
>>the BIOS. SIIG detected my new Seagate, the BIOS detected
both CD drives and the
>>Debian woody cd booted but the debian installation didn't
see the new