Re: DVD copying and CSS

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:11:50 -0600 John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Bijan Soleymani writes:
>
> > Copyright exists in most countries to encourage people to publish
> > works
> > such as novels and music albums, by offering authors and/or
> > producers a
> > financial incentive.
>
> That's the conventional rationalization.

Actually no, that's the original purpose at least in the U.S.

Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution
"The Congress shall have power...  To promote the progress of science
and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors
the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries"

--
Kevan Shea

"The role of the forger, of the unknown maker of unauthenticated goods,
is emblematic of electronic culture. And when the forger is done honor
for his craft and no longer reviled for his acquisitiveness, the arts
will have become a truly integral part of our civilization."
		- Glenn Gould