Re: DVD copying and CSS

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 07:47:24AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Vineet Kumar writes:
> > This way if anything gets scratched, stolen, melted on the dash, etc.,
> > I'm only out the cost of CDRs.
>
> But the publisher has lost the sale of a replacement CD, which is why they
> don't want you to do it (of course, if the CD only cost a buck or two you
> probably wouldn't).

The publisher would want you to pay them money everytime you listen to
the cd, whenever you look at the cd, etc. They'd even like it if you paid them
without any reason. The publisher wants money, period.

> > Why wouldn't someone with a portable DVD player want to use the same
> > method?  Why shouldn't she be allowed to?
>
> Why does copyright exist?

Copyright exists in most countries to encourage people to publish
works such as novels and music albums, by offering authors and/or
producers a financial incentive.

> I'm not sure copyright should exist, but I think those of you who think it
> should and yet want to carve out special exceptions for your own
> convenience are being hypocritical.

No these people are willing to tolerate a certain level of copyrights.
For example they think it is reasonable not to have to pay for 3 seperate
copies of the same album, or they think it is reasonable to tape copies
for friends, etc.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>