GNOME font problem.

When I installed Debian testing on my computer, I got KDE and
WindowMaker working but had some trouble with GNOME -- I think this was
because of conflicts between GNOME1 and GNOME2.  I had however been
using several GTK- and GNOME-related packages.  I successfully
installed a bunch of GNOME2 packages today and can now log in from gdm
to GNOME, but the fonts in a number of apps now look awful and I can't
figure out how to fix them.  I've used gnome-font-properties to fix a
few things (such as the panel text in this screenshot) but others (such
as GIMP) won't budge.
http://www.ducksburg.myby.co.uk/misc/bad-fonts.png

Also, emacs-x11 is no longer respecting the font specified in
~/.Xdefaults.  Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam