Re: Cron problem?

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:57:27PM +0530, Deboo wrote:
[...]
>                                           When played manually, it
> plays fine (I use the "play" utility toplay it from cron), but from cron,
> the sound output is very distorted.
[...]

Interesting.

Some probably-not-very-useful ideas of mine:

(1) The sound distortion is usually caused by the soundcard IRQ not being
served soon enough, i.e. something else blocking it from being served.
Reading/writing the disk, e.g. a cron log file -- could it be this?

(2) Niceness could be another issue.

(3) I'd try to go singleuser, if everything else failed, trying to run cron
alone.

(4) Maybe another cron job colliding?

(5) play(1), the .wav, kernel modules, shared libraries, whatever, could
be cached when you are playing them interactively (over and over), but
have been long forgotten, and to be read off-disc, when cron comes in
place.  Try playing to a null device first.

(6) I'd like to have the .wav -- would you please post a link/send it to
me offlist, if it's reasonably small (say <300KB)?

HTH

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9