Old hdd and cdrom errors at bootup

I had 2 hard disks and one cd drive of which I remove one hard disk and
the cd drive (they were not there when I installed debian too, had
added them later). But now when booting, I get timeouts for them:

hda: SAMSUNG SV0401H, ATA DISK drive
hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)
hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)
hdc: no response (status = 0x0a), resetting drive
hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)
hdc: no response (status = 0x0a)
hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)
hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)
hdd: no response (status = 0x0a), resetting drive
hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)
hdd: no response (status = 0x0a)
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

I commented any lines in /etc/fstab about both of them but still I get
them. What is causing these errors? Why is debian trying to access them or
mount them at boot when they aren't there in fstab?

Regards,
Deboo