Re: Taking a module from another kernel?

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:28:32PM -0600, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> Is it possible to compile a single module from a later kernel source for
> my current kernel?
>
> I'm using the stock Debian kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686, but the driver for
> my sound card only works in 2.4.20 and later. I want to keep running the
> Debian one for the stability and the security updates, though. Is there
> some way to take i810_audio.c from the 2.4.20 kernel sources and compile
> it for my 2.4.18? It doesn't seem like it would be all that different
> from other third-party modules (like NVIDIA's), except that I don't have
> a Makefile ready.

Why not just install kernel-source-2.4.20 (or later) and build the
whole thing? It's probably easier than trying to build one module from
a later source and wire it in by hand - which cannot be guaranteed to
work anyway; you're still running a Debian-patched kernel, so you
still have the security advantages. There's no difficulty about
installing kernel source packages from sarge or sid on a woody system,
as they don't have any awkward dependencies. It only gets mildly
tricky if you want to run 2.6.x.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons