Re: Kernel compile blues

Try using kernel-package: I've compiled a lot of kernels without problem with it, just following the instructions on this page:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Also, if you want to install a 2.6 kernel, make sure you have installed the module-init-tools package.

Another site you may find helpful (never used but it seems comprehensive):

Yours,

Jeremie Knuesel

Deboo wrote:
I'm using debian woody. Been compiling kernels since quite many years on
Slack, RH and Mandrake. It's very few times I have completely been
successful booting with the compiled kernel in debian (Have used sarge
too).

Past few days I have been sitting just compiling and re-compiling various
kernels, all except 2.4.18 have failed to boot. Some don't compile and
give errors, others mostly have a problem with initrd image anf get stuck
saying
VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 03:06

I've compiled morre than four 2.4.x kernels, one 2.6.0 and three 2.2.x
kernels, some with and without patches too, these last few days I've been
compiling. I'm not concluding anything but really wondering how people
really compile.

I do not know C or C++. I'm no programmer. Most of the time compiling
fails due to some error in some .c file which I cannot know how to do. At
other times, it's something else like modules. Yes, I've been able to do
monolithic kernels and able to boot without problems with them I would
say. But the modular ones, hardly 2 - 3 times.

I'll list the steps I use for compiling (what am I missing?)
[...]