Re: emergency! unrm a directory

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-02-21, Vikki Roemer penned:
> > Hi, I just rm'd a website on my server by accident, I need to know if
> > there's any way I can get it back.  I have an ext3 filesystem.  I
> > can't umount /var, the system won't let me, so I don't know how much
> > time I have before the inode is overwritten.  Can anyone help me,
> > please?

You are in serious trouble. Send a stop (freeze!) signal to the process
holding the inode at bay, so that the files remain there and don't get
overwritten.  Then, snapshot the filesystem to something, and work on that
snapshot using the e2fs tools to recover the inode, and copy the files back.

Good luck, you will need it.

  Henrique Holschuh