Re: dselect refusing to upgrade packages in unstable?

On (19/02/04 20:54), Henry Hollenberg wrote:
> I keep getting a line from dselect about packages that will
> not be upgraded:
>
> 98 upgraded, 36 newly installed, 0 to remove and 71 not upgraded.
>
> I wonder, have I screwed something up?

This morning I upgraded using aptitude and experienced something similar.
There were three serious bug reports: libmailtools-perl perl mime-support
and so when given the option to abandon the upgrade, I did so.

However, back in the aptitude screen, it showed only a few packages to be
upgraded but a larger number shown as upgradeable but not flagged as
such.  I manually changed their status to "u"pgrade and re-ran the
upgrade (having held the three packages with serious bugs).

Everything, worked fine after that.

So I don't think your sources.list is necessarily the problem.  It is a
while since I used dselect but you may be able to force the upgrade as I
did.  Alternatively, you could try aptitude.  It takes a little while to
get used to but it makes the sid upgrades less stressful - is it going to
break? ;)  Its interactive nature means that you can abandon the upgrade
should you receive unnerving warnings.

HTH

Clive

--