Problem with X/icewm

Hello,

I am running a combination of stable/testing, with icewm the window
manager. On starting the system today, I found that all the text was
missing from the popup menu, from the task bar, and from the title bar of
applications. XFree86.0.log has no error messages. I stopped the display
manager (wdm) and started X from the console: same result, except that
the console showed a long progression of lines,

IceWm: Warning: glyph not found: XX

where XX was a number. Apparently something was wiped out, but I don't
know what it is. I upgraded icewm, but that did not help, so I assume
that something is missing from X. Fortunately, I backed up the system
early in the month, and I have extra disk space, so I was able to restore
the backup on a separate partition. The working system now is the same,
except for applications downloaded since the backup. The ones
installed yesterday, all from testing, are:

upgrade of cupsys, cupsys-client, cupsys-bsd
visual-tcl, itcl3
openoffice.org

As it stands, I have the option of trying to fix what went wrong or
installing these applications on the restored system. If someone can suggest
what may have happened and whether I can fix the old system, I would be
grateful. Thanks.

--
Bob Parnes
rparnes@megalink.net