OSS -> ALSA migration trouble: no sound

I'm attempting to migrate from my (working) OSS driver to the ALSA stuff
in preparation for upgrading to the 2.6 kernel.

I'm running Sid with 2.4.24-1-686 and alsa-modules-2.4.24-1-686.  I've
installed alsaplayer, alsamixer, libasound2, and verified that I have
the XMMS alsa plugin.  After getting the snd-emu10k1 driver installed in
the kernel, I haven't been able to get any sound from XMMS or any other
media program.  The best I can get is some quiet static if I enable the
CD input mixer channel using alsamixer.  All other mixer channels are
cranked to the max.

I've tried XMMS, zine, and mplayer.  All are silent and do not give any
errors or warnings WRT sound.

I would really like to give the new 2.6 kernel a try, but if I can't
even get ALSA to work with 2.4, what's the point?  I'd appreciate any
help you can provide.

Thanks,
Jonathan Brandmeyer