Re: Are there any known problems when using apt-get dist-upgrade

Moritz Beller wrote:

Hello!

Since there are some very serious security problems in the Linux kernel
of version 2.4 I wanted to update my debian system in order to get the
current Linux kernel 2.6.

So, by calling apt-get dist-upgrade with root permissions I get the
following output:

723 updated, 72 new installed, 8 to delete and 4 not-updated.
After unpacking 151MB of extra memory are needed.

However, I am working on some *very* important projects at the
moment. So, if there is any risk of getting a system crash by updating
the os, please warn me or just say "no".
Thanks.

Yours
Moritz

What are the 8 apt wants to remove? Can you live without them? Do you need them? What will replace those 8? My advice is to NOT dist-upgrade until you can have some down time for safety's sake. Dist-upgrade usually works, sometime by performing some contortions with dpkg, sometime smoothly. The rule of thumb to follow here is: don't fix it if it isn't broke. You need if for *very* important projects. wait until you can do it safely. Conversely, if you feel you *must* have the upgrade, make a back up so you can restore in a matter of moments if it does not work for you.

--
Damon L. Chesser
dchesser@bigfoot.com