Re: D_GNU_SOURCE option for gcc?

"Thomas H. George" <xyz@spininternet.com> writes:

> I am using source code from UNIX SYSTEMS PROGRAMMING by Robbins &
> Robbins.  It gives a compiler error unless compiled with the option
> -D_GNU_SOURCE .
> Where does this option come from - its not in the man pages?

It defines the preprocessor macro _GNU_SOURCE. If this macro is defined,
the standard library headers adhere to certain standards and enable
GNU extensions. See the comments at the top of /usr/include/features.h
for how to make the standard library adhere to various standards.

--
   ,--.    Martin Dickopp, Dresden, Germany                 ,= ,-_-. =.
  / ,- )   http://www.zero-based.org/                      ((_/)o o(\_))