Re: Upgrading kernel... no version in current package!

Hello

Kevin Krumwiede (<kjkrum@comcast.net>) wrote:

> I'm new to Debian and only recently set up my first "working" system.
> Following the security advisory today, I attempted to upgrade my
> kernel with 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'.  It doesn't show
> any updates available.  I do have the update server in my
> sources.list:
>
> 0:# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
> Could the problem be that there is no version associated with the
> stock kernel?

The package management system does not know that the installation kernel
is installed. To upgrade it, install the package via apt-get. When
asked if you want to overwrite the modules directory, say yes.

But maybe you want to switch to some other image instead of the
installation kernels. Do

apt-cache search kernel-image

to get an overview.

best regards