Re: Joystick question

Selon Nicos Gollan <gtdev@spearhead.de>:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:55:26 -0500
> Kevin Johnson <kjohnson@secureideas.net> wrote:
>
> > If I run jstest --normal /dev/js0 it sees the gamepad and lets me test
> > it.  xmame displays an error that no joystick is found so it disables
> > joystick support.  This is driving me crazy.  I am not even sure where
> > to look.
>
> Try creating a link from /dev/input/js0 to /dev/js0. I had a similar
> problem quite some time a go and it seems there was a change in where
> the joystick devices were placed.
>
> Personally, I would say joysticks should be put into /dev/input and not
> into /dev, but perhaps that's just me ;-)

well /dev/input/whatever is the namespace that devfs uses so far... (but who
knows how long it will last ? ! ) Now 'udev' is taking over devfs. 'devfs is
now obsolete as of 2.6 kernel but debian still do not ship with the udev
packages (even in unstable)...

here come my bet then : try compiling your kernel with devfs support, and
prepare yourself for another change sooner or later... as udev will not
necessarily use the same naming conventions as devfs or the old /dev folder.