Joystick question

Hi-
I need some help. actually I would like some<grin>  I just purchased a
USB Gravis Gamepad pro to use with Xmame.  I downloaded the latest
version and comiled it both as a normal x11 and the sdl versions of
xmame.  Neither will see my gamepad.  If I run jstest --normal /dev/js0
it sees the gamepad and lets me test it.  xmame displays an error that
no joystick is found so it disables joystick support.  This is driving
me crazy.  I am not even sure where to look.

Thanks for any help possible.
Kevin