Re: Remote access PC support

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:

>> And make already sloth VNC more like sitting through all 3 hours of
>> Titanic:  Slow and painful with lots of high-pitched shrieking in the
>> middle.  Be sure to sell the album, it'll go to the top of the charts
>> in Quebec.  8:o)
>>

> Never had that problem.  Even connecting remotely to my home
> box (on DSL, so limited to 256 kbps upstream) at 1024x768.

128 kbps going up here. With color-space reduction (-bgr233), heavy jpeg
compression (-compresslevel 9), low jpeg quality (-quality 0), and tight
encoding (-encodings "tight copyrect"), TightVNC isn't that bad; refresh
rate is slow but it usually drops enough "refreshes" to keep mouse
cursor more-or-less updated. And since we're tunneling through SSH, add
its own compression (-C) too.

Just don't expect it to be useful in art appreciation ;-)

--
Cristian Gutierrez			http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: RAM. Lots of RAM.