Re: Mysterious changing file permissions

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 02:17 pm, Hhayes wrote:
> I have a Debian box running as a file server on a network with 50
> users. So far it works great except for the user/file permissions.

How are you sharing the files? NFS? Samba? Something else?

> I can go into a directory and set the owner and group permissions to
> read/write on all files in the directory and that works fine. Then as
> soon as one of the users opens a file and saves it, the permissions on
> that file change to read only for the group permissions and changes the
> owner to the user that just saved the file, resulting in a file that no
> other users can write to.

If you set the setGID bit (chmod g+s) on a directory, all files created in
the directory will have the same group ownership as the directory itself.

As for the permissions changing, this is a umask problem - you should look
at the umask setting for your file sharing service.

Adam