Mysterious changing file permissions

I have a Debian box running as a file server on a network with 50 users. So

far it works great except for the user/file permissions. I can go into a

directory and set the owner and group permissions to read/write on all

files in the directory and that works fine. Then as soon as one of the

users opens a file and saves it, the permissions on that file change to read

only for the group permissions and changes the owner to the user that just

saved the file, resulting in a file that no other users can write to. Has

anyone ever seen this before?