Re: apt-get upgrade of kernel-image

On (13/02/04 09:27), Raquel Rice wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:54:59 +0100
> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Chris Searle (<debian@chrissearle.org>) wrote:
> >
> > > I ran apt-get upgrade -u yesterday and noticed that it was
> > > wanting to upgrade kernel-image-2.4.24-1-686.
> > >
> > > The upgrade went OK (apart from ALSA will no longer load) - but
> > > I'm confused - I thought that upgrade would not upgrade a
> > > kernel-image - that you had to choose to do so by running
> > > apt-get install? It's certainly the first time I've had a
> > > kernel-image turn up in the upgrade list.
> > >
> > > Do kernels get upgraded the same way as other packages?
> >
> > Yes. Exceptions are intallation kernels, which are not set to
> > "installed" in the package database, and name changes like from
> > 2.4.18 to 2.4.28-1.
> >
> > bets regards
> >         Andreas Janssen
> >

> Please forgive me for being so dense.  But, two months ago when I
> installed Woody, I installed 2.4.18-bf2.4 via floppies and the
> Internet.  To upgrade to 2.4.18-686, all I need to do is to mark, in
> aptitude, the kernel image for installation?
It may be too late but I didn't see a response to this.  Yes you are
right - however, you will get a couple of warnings during installation
which require careful consideration.  One refers to editing initrd and
the other (from memory) refers to the modules version.   Suggest you
read the docs before proceeding, particularly if you are dual booting
with another OS.

HTH

Clive

--