Re: Fixing modem parameters

Hello

Mark Twenhafel (<marktwen@lvnworth.com>) wrote:

> I'm pretty newbie in spite of first learning about Linux back in the
> comp.os.minix, kernel 0.9 days.
> The problem I'm having involves getting a modem recognized by the os.
> I installed the current stable boot-floppies distribution (woody
> 3.0r2, idepci flavor) on a IA32 beige box.  The install system didn't
> recognize the USRobotics 56k Performance Pro PCI modem.  When queried,
> I set the port as COM3, since that's where W2K puts it. Later I read
> that I should have specified the N-1 port number, S2.
>
> How/Where do I fix this?

Use the pppconfig program, and pon/poff to dial. The device file should
be /dev/ttyS2. If you want to dial as a user, add yourself to the dip
group.

If the modem can be used without any additional drivers, it should work
out of the box. If it is a controllerless modem (winmodem), you
probably have to get a driver. In that case take a look at
<http://linmodems.org>.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--