Re: Mouse

Andreas Janssen wrote:

Hallo

Mark (<markluxton@auracom.com>) wrote:
The problem is that my mouse doesn't work. It is attached to serial
port (com) 1. During the installation I selected something like tty0?
as the port, not knowing if it was correct. Obviously it was not.

The correct entry is /dev/ttyS0 for COM1, and /dev/ttyS1 for COM2. Use

#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Andreas' suggestion to use this command is much preferable than the suggestion I made in my previous posting to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file directly, for at least two reasons:
1) editing the file directly breaks debconf's control of the file
2) dpkg-reconfigure gives you a pick-and-choose method of choosing the protocol

to change the settings. Also make sure to choose the right protocol.
Microsoft should work with most serial mice. You won't need a mouse to
configure the settings, a keyboard will be sufficient. Open a console
window after logging in, or switch to a virtual console using CTRL+ALT+F1.

Oh, I meant to mention, if you need to move around in X, even though you don't have a mouse, you can press LeftShift-NumLock (assuming you have a separate numeric keypad), and then use the 7,8,9,4,6,1,2,3 keys to move the mouse pointer around; the 5 is a mouse click. / sets the 5 to do a left-click; * sets the 5 to do a middle-click, and - sets the 5 to do a right-click. LeftShift-NumLock again will turn off the cursor control.

--
Kent