Mouse

Hi, I just managed to install Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 on a P-166 with 48Mb and a 10GB HD. It took several tries since there are installation questions and terms that are not designed for a new user. I read the installation manual which helped a lot. I used the boot disks and driver disks with the base system file on a seperate HD. Debian is installed on a partition with a swap file on another. No DOS. I used Tasksel to get the "Desktop Environment" which would seem to be Gnome. The computer boots to the login part of Gnome. Login is successful :-) The problem is that my mouse doesn't work. It is attached to serial port (com) 1. During the installation I selected something like tty0? as the port, not knowing if it was correct. Obviously it was not. The web site mentions using xf86config to install a new mouse but doesn't say exactly how or where to use it. Eventually I plan to know this OS inside and out as I do Win98SE, 95, XP, Win3.11 and DOS. I have no clue how to fix my mouse with Debian except by starting all over again and hoping to get it right again. Please help; starting with: do I use the rescue disk? what do I type and where. Or can I fix it using Gnome and the keyboard? I have been setting up new and used computers for people for a few years and would love to offer people other choices than Windows self corrupting OS's.
   Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
   Truly Mark Luxton.

P.S. I may have some suggestions in the near future to make the installation process easier for dummies. Mainly adding better help descriptions about what the system is asking for and talking about. This installation is far from self explanatory.