Re: modules

Thanks o lot. I see discover running. I'll try installation without discover and with discover. Since I'm running SCSI/IDE system I'll compile drivers form my controllers to kernel. No initrd needded
Thanks
Rob Weir wrote:

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:15:34AM -0500, cdummy said
Hello. I'm new with testing. I have a few questions. Please answer or send me to proper list. I used daily built of Sarge installer without any big problems. Just trouble to get out of setting sources for apt, but I did them manuallly and hit cancel which took me to main menu. System works almost no problems just at the boot I'm getting message "couln't open /etc/mtab" but from what I see this is typical problem of this installer. I need advice.. I'd like to compile kernel. When I do lsmod I see all my modules loaded :
snip
usb-uhci               19696   0  (unused)
usbcore                52588   0  [usb-uhci]
via82cxxx_audio        17756   1
ac97_codec             11412   0  [via82cxxx_audio]
uart401                 6244   0  [via82cxxx_audio]
sound                  50568   0  [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
soundcore               3268   4  [via82cxxx_audio sound]
ide-scsi                8464   0
3c59x                  24016   1
snip
but my /etc/modules  looks like that:
sd_mod
ide-cd
ide-detect

If I go to /etc/modutils there are no my sound modules to load. When I take look on my stock kernel config file above sound modules are compiled as modules:
snip
# CONFIG_MSNDPIN_HAVE_BOOT is not set
CONFIG_MSNDPIN_INIT_FILE="/etc/sound/pndspini.bin"
CONFIG_MSNDPIN_PERM_FILE="/etc/sound/pndsperm.bin"
CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX=m
CONFIG_MIDI_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
snip
And they are in /lib/modules. How do they load? Kernel loads modules automatically?

Do you have something like "discover" or "kudzu" installed?  They will
load modules as they detect hardware.

How come they are not in /etc/modutils/aliases
Last kernel I compiled was 2.4.20 and I compiled modules and than added them to /etc/modules so they load. SCSI and IDE I always compile into kernel. And there comes my second question. I read 2 articles about compiling Debian specific kernel.:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949&page=1
http://www.tux.org/~tbr/debiankernelpkg/
But all new kernels are coming with initrd.img. Is this a must or can I compile old way?

You can build kernels with make-kpkg without using initrd, Debian's
kernels just use it so they can include everything as modules.  If
you're not using an initrd, don't forget to build all your essential
stuff (IDE controller, filesystems) INTO the kernel, and not as modules.