modules

Hello. I'm new with testing. I have a few questions. Please answer or send me to proper list. I used daily built of Sarge installer without any big problems. Just trouble to get out of setting sources for apt, but I did them manuallly and hit cancel which took me to main menu. System works almost no problems just at the boot I'm getting message "couln't open /etc/mtab" but from what I see this is typical problem of this installer. I need advice.. I'd like to compile kernel. When I do lsmod I see all my modules loaded :
snip
usb-uhci               19696   0  (unused)
usbcore                52588   0  [usb-uhci]
via82cxxx_audio        17756   1
ac97_codec             11412   0  [via82cxxx_audio]
uart401                 6244   0  [via82cxxx_audio]
sound                  50568   0  [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
soundcore               3268   4  [via82cxxx_audio sound]
ide-scsi                8464   0
3c59x                  24016   1
snip
but my /etc/modules  looks like that:
sd_mod
ide-cd
ide-detect

If I go to /etc/modutils there are no my sound modules to load. When I take look on my stock kernel config file above sound modules are compiled as modules:
snip
# CONFIG_MSNDPIN_HAVE_BOOT is not set
CONFIG_MSNDPIN_INIT_FILE="/etc/sound/pndspini.bin"
CONFIG_MSNDPIN_PERM_FILE="/etc/sound/pndsperm.bin"
CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX=m
CONFIG_MIDI_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
snip
And they are in /lib/modules. How do they load? Kernel loads modules automatically? How come they are not in /etc/modutils/aliases Last kernel I compiled was 2.4.20 and I compiled modules and than added them to /etc/modules so they load. SCSI and IDE I always compile into kernel. And there comes my second question. I read 2 articles about compiling Debian specific kernel.:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949&page=1
http://www.tux.org/~tbr/debiankernelpkg/
But all new kernels are coming with initrd.img. Is this a must or can I compile old way?

Thanks for help
Andrey