Re: how to Pin KDE?

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:36:58PM -0600, Craig P. Steffen said
> The version of kmail in testing is broken (which is different issue).  I
> want to have most of my packages from testing, but I would like to pin
> kmail (so presumably the rest of KDE too).

If you just want to install a working kmail version and then not have
apt fuck with it, do this:

# echo kmail hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections

And apt won't upgrade it until you run:

# echo kmail install | sudo dpkg --set-selections

If you already have a broken version installed, you can get one that
worked from http://snapshot.debian.net/.

> However, this doesn't seem to work.  I've used "pin" definitions in the
> the /etc/apt/preferences file, and I've tried hitting "=" in dselect.
> Then when I update the sources so that testing and stable are both
> available, then I get dumped into the depdency resolution where _all_ of
> the kde packages are un-selected.  Anything I do, pin kmail, pin kdebase,
> the result is the same.  Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Pinning involving KDE, stable and testing sounds like a recipe for
massive, massive pain.  Why not just install one of the numerous
Woody/KDE3 backports around?

Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:                Sears Tower LABLINK assassination Vince Foster