Re: sarge installer successes?

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 08:05:19PM -0500, Steven Leach said
> After yet another failed attempt to install Sarge from the latest
> unofficial ISO onto my spare/testing partition, I am currently
> reinstalling Woody.
>
> I am curious what kind of luck others have had with the Sarge
> installer.  The only x86 system that I have available to test on is an
> epia m10000 board with an EIDE CD and hard drive.  Woody installation
> is flawless whereas the current Sarge installer and the debian
> installer public beta 2 have both been entirely unusable (Failure to
> detect CD drive [after booting from it successfully] and even the hard
> drive under net install for instance)

Please write to the debian-boot list and describe the problems you've
had, they love install reports :-)

> I am surprised that the latest installer seems to be a complete rewrite
> rather than an update to the fully functional system found under Woody.

The installer used for woody was rather a mess, code-wise, or so I've
heard.  It was supposed to be retired after potato, but the new
installer wasn't ready in time.  d-i (debian-installer, which sarge
uses) is designed to be extendable and based on existing Debian
infrastructure (all the bits are in "micro"-debs, and the questions are
asked via debconf), hopefully avoiding the cruftiness of bf
(boot-floppies, woody's installer).

>  I am hoping that the problems that I've seen are unique to my system.

FWIW, I installed with an image from december a while back, and it
worked great except for defaulting to a very odd keymap (but at least
the arrow keys worked so I could change it to qwerty ;).

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:      cracking Europol Kennedy import David John Oates tempest