Re: how to install an ftp server

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 15:02, Marty Landman wrote:
> At 01:09 PM 2/14/2004, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
> >deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> >
> >deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
> >non-free
> >
> >deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security woody/updates main contrib
> >non-free
>
> Ok, I got it from apt. Now what?
>
> I've uncommented the following line from my /etc/inetd.conf
>
> ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/vsftpd
>

> and discovered that there is no vsftpd in my /etc/init.d directory.

The whole point of configuring inetd to run it is that it is only
started when needed rather than running all the time. This means that it
does not need to be started at boot (hence no /etc/init.d/ script)

Inetd is a daemon that listens for connections on various ports, when it
recives one that it has been told how to handle, it starts the
appropriate program and hands the connnection off to it. See man inetd
for better/more complete explaination.

Now, you want to see if the server accepts an attemped ftp connection.
Just try FTPing to the server and make sure that you dont get a
"connection refused" message or anything. If you dont, but are asked to
login, etc, then the service is obviously working.

-davidc