Re: R: Sony VAIO PCG-V505CP

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:38:14PM +0100, albatross wrote:
> I get a graphic black&white dotted screen with the X cursor and nothing
> else. If I press ctrl+alt+f1 I get the error that states "(EE)
> xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice". Is this a mouse
> problem?

Looks like it. Had me running in circles the first time.

Do you have a usb mouse? /dev/input/mice is only for usb mice under
kernel 2.4 (under 2.6 its all mice).

If its a usb mouse make sure all the drivers are loaded. you can try to
do cat /dev/input/mice and move the mouse. If it is functioning you will
get gibberish on screen when you move the mouse.

If you have a ps2 mouse use /dev/psaux and serial mouse is in
/dev/ttys<n> with n something between 0 and 3.

The same method with cat on the device file and moving the mouse will
let you know if its generating signals on that device.