Re: Does dpkg -l refer only to installed, as opposed to available, packages?

Mario Vukelic wrote:
On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 03:24, Colin Watson wrote:

'dpkg -p' lists whatever's in /var/lib/dpkg/available; 'dpkg -l' lists
whatever's in /var/lib/dpkg/status.

Uh, for me (dpkg 1.9.21) man says -l lists available, and -p
dpkg  -p|--print-avail package
	Display details about package, as found in
	/var/lib/dpkg/available.

dpkg -l | --list package-name-pattern ...
List packages matching given pattern. If no package-name-pattern is given, list all packages in /var/lib/dpkg/available.

It says the same for me in the man page for dpkg-query(8), but when I do a dpkg -l, all the packages listed are either 'ii' (meaning selected and installed) or 'rc' (meaning removed, but not purged--IOW, they were once installed). This couldn't possibly be all available packages for debian/testing because, for instance, I'm not using X and never have on that machine.

So it appears Colin is right in saying that dpkg -l gets its information from /var/lib/dpkg/status, not .../available. The documentation must be wrong.

Chad.