Does dpkg -l refer only to installed, as opposed to available, packages?

Is it a bug that

    dpkg -p kernel-source-2.6.2

shows information about kernel-source-2.6.2 while

    dpkg -l kernel-source-2.6.2

claims the Version is <none> and the Description is (no description
available)? It looks like dpkg -l refers only to packages that are
installed, which is not the way I understand man dpkg.

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I