Rip DVD audio: TOC for CD?

I admin that I do not know much about how DVDs work -- or really CDDA,
either.   I don't really understand how VOBs related to titles and
chapters, for example.  Some day I need to read a primer...

So these are some basic questions:

I know how to rip to audio from a dvd using mplayer.  Here's one
way:

  mplayer -quiet -ao pcm -aofile a.wav -vo null -vc dummy dvd://

I have two questions:

1) I assume that there's some type of table of contents/menu in the dvd
that sets the sequence the VOBs(?) are played.  Is there a way I can
extract out the audio in the same sequence that the dvd would play in a
dvd player?

2) If I extract audio into a large wav file is there a tool that would
allow me to set track locations when burning the audio?  In other words,
anyone know of a (GUI?) tool that would make it easy to set track
locations when I have a single large wav file that contains many
sections/parts/chapters?  I think what I need is a way to create a CUE
or table of contents sheet for cdrecord.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org