Re: Imap && imap-ssl && pop3-ssl

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:16:26PM -0600, Jose Alberto Guzman wrote:
> Jonathan Matthews wrote:
[...]
> >I need to offer imap, imapssl and pop3ssl services. FWIW, imap would be
> >localhost only, but -ssl services would be publically accessible.
> >
> >My reading thus far leads me towards Courier-imap with Exim 4
> >backported to stable so I can interface with ClamAV, but feel free to
> >point out something important that I've missed.
> >
> >Do I need to have a different instance of the server running for each
> >protocol?  i.e. one listening on each port that the three services use
> >as standard?
> >
> >Is there a server that would do the job with just one instance listening
> >on all three ports?  Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to
> >this?  I'm thinking locking/concurrency/that-sorta-thing.
[...]
>  What we run here, is standard uw-imap and popa3d, with stunnel. Works
> like a charm.

I use postfix+uw-imap+ipopd from "testing" which supports ssl
directly. We then use shorewall firewalling to limit access to the
non-ssl ports. This uses inetd for the pop and imap servers, and mbox
mailboxes. It works fine, and seems to be the "best" set up for mbox
mailboxes.

On another machine I use
postfix+courier-imap-ssl+courier-pop-ssl+procmail. Procmail is used
with a global /etc/procmailrc to make postfix deliver into Maildir
mailboxes. Courier uses a heap of it's own daemons for everything,
which I didn't like, but it seems to work OK. This seems to be the
"best" setup for Maildir (flame suit on), with the possible exception
of using something else instead of procmail for delivery.

The big problem I found with Maildir is everything else seems to
assume mbox (including the "you have mail" notification at the command
line), and it's hard work to find and configure everything for it.

I documented this stuff ages ago on the debian wiki last time I went
through this;

http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?EmailConfiguration

http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?MaildirConfiguration

Feel free to update these as you go :-)