Re: DHCP hostname

Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> Sam Halliday:
> > i am on a DHCP-served network and the server will always give out a
> > hostname, but debian completely ignores that hostname; preferring
> > instead to use the hostname "debian" which it set up during the
> > initial install.
> Something you could try (it's a bit brute force, but might work):
>
> I'm assuming you're using the ISC dhcp client version 3
> (dhcp3-client).
>
> Edit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-script and modify the part that sets up the
> hostname to write the hostname into /etc/hostname.  That might help.
>
> I've run into the same bug; it's annoying, but I haven't had time to
> figure out exactly what is wrong.

i have fixed it now thanks (see thread); you might want to look at my
solution. also... i don't have an /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-script script, you
must have installed debian a loong time ago when it still had to use
wrappers for dhclient2 and dhclient3... now its just
/etc/dhclient-script, and i really DO NOT want to edit debian scripts; i
would do it in a local script iff i really needed to.

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts