DHCP hostname

hi there,

ok, i know there have been many bugs (for some reason, all closed)
applied against this issue... but i have found no solution at all to it
in either the archives nor the bug reports, and i was wondering if
someone could help:

i am on a DHCP-served network and the server will always give out a
hostname, but debian completely ignores that hostname; preferring
instead to use the hostname "debian" which it set up during the initial
install.

i would like my dhcp client to set my hostname when the server sends it
to me. now i know this would be trivial to fix in a local script (for
example with dhcpcd, using -H and -D flags will set both my domainname
and hostname; and i suppose i could use a simple grep to get info from
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases when using dhclient)... what i was
wondering is if somebody could please tell me how to fix this in the
"correct debian way" and also, i would be very interested to hear why
setting the host/domainname from the DHCP server is not the default.

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts