Re: Partitioning Scheme for New 120GB Hard Drive -- Comments?

Mark wrote:

> Can you mix lvm and RAID?
> Does it make sense?
> Would it be just too much complexity?

At my place of employ, we have someone working on building a linux
box with the functionality of a netapp. The underlying device is a
software raid 5 array of several disks which is presented to the os (via
lvm) as one big partition. This design allows the safety of raid with
the ability to take snapshots of partitions and export them via nfs
readonly, allowing our users to see the state of their files, say, an
hour ago, so they can recover from a careless rm. We intend for this to
become a home directory fileserver.

In summary, it is a lot of work to get going but it's not totally crazy.