Re: Partitioning Scheme for New 120GB Hard Drive -- Comments?

M. Kirchhoff wrote:

> I just purchased a new 120GB IDE drive, however, and would like to
> partition it more effectively
>
> 20GB => WinXP (unless by some stroke of fortuity Half-Life2 is ported
> to Linux)
> 150MB => /
> 100MB => /boot
> 1GB   => /tmp
> 1GB   => swap
> 1GB   => /var
> 20GB  => /usr
> 5GB   => /usr/local
> ~70GB => /home

Just a few comments:

(1) With a 120 gb drive there is no reason to be so conservative about
    /. I would give it at least a gig, just for sanity.

(2) I like to split up /var... /var/log, /var/tmp, and /var at least.

(3) If you don't mind spending a few rainy afternoons, you might want to
    investigate lvm. It allows you to create virtual resizable partitions,
    so the only thing you have to decide at install time is size-of-slash
    and size-of-everything-else. It also allows you to do filesystem
    snapshots (which are really nifty). ( http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/ )

This might be a little overkill for a home machine, but it sure is fun.

-- Brendan