Re: [OT] Taking notes

Incoming from Karsten M. Self:
> on Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:59:57PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews (jaycee.nospam@jaycee.uklinux.net) wrote:
> > Fairly OT for d-u, but I'm wondering what people use to take notes for
> > courses.
>
> Stiff-backed, three-hole drilled, microperf, narrow-ruled yellow 8.5x11
> pad, Uni-Ball rollerball pen, blue ink.

Yellow?!?                   :-)

I do the same, but I also use a short perl script to accept mouse
cut+paste blocks to a file; it date stamps each entry.  Just type
"things.pl", highlight some text somewhere, paste it in with the
mouse, and finish with CTRL-D:

    -------------  snip  -------------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#
#  ~/devl/perl/things.pl      replaces ~/sh/things.sh; datestamps
#                             and separates entries.
#
#  13Apr2002   s. keeling   0001   replace things.sh
#

use strict;

my ( $outfile, $now );

chomp( $now = qx(date) );

$outfile = qq($ENV{HOME}/dox/things_to_remember.txt);

open( THINGS, ">> $outfile" ) ||
      die qq($0: could not open $outfile for append: $!);

while( <STDIN> ) {
    print THINGS;
}

close( THINGS );