[OT] Taking notes

Fairly OT for d-u, but I'm wondering what people use to take notes for
courses.

I'm studying T171 with the Open University (it's a compulsory course on
the way to their BSc in PeeCees), and a lot of the assessment is writing
up what you thought about various resources (websites, reports, etc)
that they throw at you.  The important thing is the note-taking and
subsequent writing up - /not/ the opinions you actually express in the
notes.

So - I'm looking for packages which let me keep a structured record of
what I was looking at, where it was, when I looked, and what my thoughts
were.  I've found hnb, but that's about it.

Any suggestions?  Would a custom (v.v.v.v. simple) DTD be an idea?  What
emacs packages let me input the notes into a valid XML file adhering to
my simple DTD in a pointy-clicky sort of way?  Is this not the way
forward?

Cheers!
jc

--