S24 Video Card on Sparc 5: Can it be used in 16 or 24 bit mode?

Hello,
I don't know if I'm asking this question in the correct mail forum, so please don't attack me :-) . I have a SparcStation 5 with a S24 video card. I've installed Debian 3.0r2 on it and everything is working great but just one thing I can't figure out. I'm trying to get into 16 or 24 bit color mode on but xfree seems to reject those modes and only works in 8 bit mode. I want to know if it is possible for Debian/Xfree86 to use 16 and/or 24 bit modes. If so, how do I configure that. Has anyone been successful in getting those mode to work. Thanks!
Jose Torres