Sid & PHP4-Mysql

I installed Sid on a box yesterday. I set it up with apache, php4, and
mysql.  I transfered a working site over to the box, but when I connect
I get an error that mysql_pconnect is an undefined function.  I checked
and I do have the php4_mysql package installed, as a matter of fact I
re-installed the package just to make sure.  As usual, it added it's
extension to the php.ini file, so I am at a loss as to why it's not
working.  Has this happened to anyone else running sid?  Is there
something I can do to resolve this besides starting over with a woody
install?

Stan