SOLVED: Re: My drive only operates in UDMA2?

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 12:14 pm, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> My guess: wrong type of cable. Make sure it can do more that udma2.

It's my fault, naturally...

Since the cable worked (albeit slowly) and since I'm new to fast IDE drives, I
never thought to blame the cable. My last desktop machine was a P/166.

After actually reading some documentation on cabling, I realized that I had
installed my cable *backwards*. When I reinstalled the cable so the blue
connector was plugged into the motherboard instead of plugged into the drive,
my hdparm number immediately lept from 19 MB/s to 27 MB/s, for a 50%
improvement.  hdparm also says that the drive is running as udma4.

That seems much more reasonable, given my P3/866 and a UDMA4 drive.

Thanks,
-darin