[Repost] F-prot update cron script fails

(This is a repost. My previous messages seemed to be ignored. My apoligies
if reposts are considered bad mailinglist-behaviour).

Dear List,

I'm using F-Prot antivirus on my Woody 3.0r2 box to scan incoming and
outgoing e-mail using amavis.
F-Prot has been installed using f-prot-installer from sid.
The installation went fine and F-Prot works like a charm.

I'd like to update my virus-definitions twice a day, and I'd like to check
for a new F-Prot version once a week. For this, I use a cron script, pasted
below:

P1:~# cat /etc/cron.d/f-prot-installer
#       (c) FRISK Software International
#       author: Svavar Ingi Hermannsson 2002 - 2003
#
#       http://www.f-prot.com/
#
# If you want to run this script in a cronjob, then you
# should put a cron entry into your crontab similar to
# the following example. Here's an example of a crontab
# entry which runs check-updates twice a day: 04:27 and
# 16:27.
#
# m h dom mon dow user  command
27 4,16 * * *     root  /usr/lib/f-prot/tools/check-updates -cron -quiet
#
# (consult your crontab manual page, this format may differ between
# versions)

P1:~#

Unfortunately, this doesn't work, I get an e-mail twice a day with the
following subject:

"Cron <root@P1> root if [ -x /usr/lib/f-prot/tools/check-updates ];
then /usr/lib/f-prot/tools/check-updates -cron -quiet; fi"

(one line, without the quotation marks)

And with the following message body:

/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `then'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `root if [ -x /usr/lib/f-prot/tools/check-updates ];
then /usr/lib/f-prot/tools/check-updates -cron -quiet; fi'

(two lines, both starting with "/bin/sh: -c: line 1: ")

This problems exists for almost a year. Now I'd like to solve it. I don't
know where the 'if' statement in the cron error message comes from.
I already tried purging F-Prot, removing the cron script, rewrite the cron
script, etc. I don't know what I should do next.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion and/or a possible solution.

Stanley