Re: clamav and fetchmail?

stan wrote:

Other than I'm running exim, this sounds like what I'm trying to do.

Can you enlighten me as to how you did this?

Thanks.

Well the key is setting up amavis, or amavisd-new (which is a backported package, you can find some places on apt-get.org).

For clamav you can get the newest debian packages from clamav.elektrapro.com.

- First set up postfix / exim.
- Install Clamav
- Install spamassassin (there are also nicer backported packages)
- Install amavisd-new
- fetchmail

*** This stuff here is MTA dependend. I have no idea about Exim ***
Set up the amavisd-new configuration file in /etc/amavis/amavisd.conf. It's well documented within the file. One of the most important things is the virus checker against the end of the file. Comment out all except clamav, this saves you CPU time.

Choose how the amavisd daemon should receive the emails. This is MTA dependend. Plug amavisd-new into your content filter of your MTA. No idea how this works with exim, but with postfix you have to edit the master.cf accordingly.
***

Let fetchmail deliver the fetched emails to you local MTA, which in turn delivers it to the mailboxes / procmail, whatever.

In the /etc/fetchmailrc I have the following settings:

poll server_to_get_mails protocol POP3 user username_on_distant_server password some_password_on_distant_server is local_user_name_to_deliver_to

Everything on one line of course.

If you want to stay with exim, just check the documentation of amavisd-new. It's should be all documented.

**********************************
Some useful deb archives

# BAckport of postfix 2.0.16
deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable postfix
# amavisd-new backport which is way faster / better than amavis-postfix
deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/amavisd-new/
deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/misc/
# Official Clamav source
deb http://clamav.catt.com/debian stable main