Kernel 2.24.1-k7 won't permit Palm USB sync?

I had my Tungsten T3 syncing just fine via its USB cradle.  Then I installed
the above kernel version and rebooted.

One thing all the docs on HotSync said, was that /dev/ttyUSB1 wouldn't even
exist until the HotSync button on the cradle was pressed.

With the new kernel, all the USB devices exist all the time.  And sync
doesn't work.

Anyone know what options were changed for this kernel update?  Any
suggestions on how to get back the former, desired behavior?
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading